Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Evening speed work

A friend gave me this workout indicating that it would help my body get acclimated to running faster...that was put mildly IMO as I nearly passed out....oh I feel out of shape.
The workout is documented by mile blocks by there was no rest between pace changes

1 x 3200 at 8:57
1 x 1600 at 7:08 (uh wow, I used to be able to do 5 of these repeats....it's been too long since I've done weekly speed work)
1 x 1600 at 8:57
1 x 1600 at 6:53(mother&%^^#$....HR was 190+ for duration....pushing my anaerobic max. Who knew you could go 6 minutes without oxygen?)
1 x 800 at 8:00 (am I really going slower? my HR doesn't feel like it)
1 x 800 at 10:00 (I have never been so happy to run a 10 min pace in my life!)

Mission completed and somehow my lung is still intact

Followed up immediately with swim speed and form workout

1 x 500 warm up (really? probably not a "warm up" since my body was still ignited)

1 x 100 paddles; rest 10
1 x 50 buoy
repeat 3 more X

1 x 50; catch up drill 25 down, free style back
1 x 50 ;skully 25 down, free style back
1 x 50; strength pulls 25 down; free style back
1 x 50; hand flip water when exiting 25 down; free back (wow, this really showed me that my stroke is too short. I felt a nice bit of power when I'd flip the water)
repeat 1 x

4 x 50s - sprints; consistent :45 each with a :30 recovery

100 cool down

1800 yards total

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that looks like a hard set.

Bryan said...

Looks like you're pushing to up your VO2Max, which is exactly what you want to be doing - increasing your speed so you can build on that in the upcoming months. The swim brick looks great. However, on the track I would like to see you keep interval sections short - around three miles, or maybe five at the most. Check w/ J Tysoe on this -he's practically written a treatise on small "quality" miles versus overtraining. If you do want more mileage, you can easily add a mile or two of warmup - slow and easy, maybe 9 or 10 min-mile, to the beginning and / or end of your sprint work.

Since your strength is your strength, I would highly recommend Amy Begley's favorite workout, the Mile Down: 1600, 1200, 800, 600, 300, 200. Start out at 95% intensity - possibly 6:55 for you, and keep the intensity throughout. Mentally kick it up at each new interval, but since they keep getting shorter, the fatigue won't really hit until it's over.

Be sure to warm up for a mile or two before, and do a short cool down before hitting the water or bike. Let me know what you think.

http://www.yoderbegley.com/index.html

Rainmaker said...

A friend ehh? Sound slike the friends likes to watch ya suffer.