Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday 45/5 brick

This was a very productive training session.
*I learned that fueling high on healthy fats and complex carbs the night before and the morning of long workouts I have more energy during training and need to consume less calories during training.
*I awoke at 6 am and started my pre training fuel. First meal was multi grain pancakes with pears = approx 370 cal. Then at 8 am I ate a small banana and a PB & Honey sandwich on whole wheat = approx 355 cal = 730 pre training.
*Training started a little past 9. Between 9 and 12:30 I consumed another 480 cal while I burned somewhere around 2020 cal.
*Maloox is my best friend on bike rides longer then 30-40 miles. Damn my tummy is sensitive.
*Here is a map of the bike ride
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/or/fairview/414662358826
44.8 miles with over 2500 ft of elevation gain. I <3 climbing, I'm rather good at it . I focused mostly on my descent. I am still working on my fear of descending and cornering. I've ridden Larch several times and this time down I was much more relaxed and didn't break nearly as often. In the past I would avg 22-27 mph coming down as I held my breaks. Today I only hit the breaks when I was totally out of my comfort zone around sharper corners. I maintained an avg of 27-32 mph coming down. Yay, every ride I feel like I'm getting a little more comfortable with descending and cornering. Slowly but surely. I'd really like to set up some cones and practice, I think that would help.
*My legs started to feel fatigued around mile 40. My tummy started to give me cramping for the last 1/4 of the ride. Ugh, this made me scared of the run to come.
*As I hit transition I decide to run to the bathroom, I drank a lot of H2o on the bike and was hoping that would alleviate the cramping I was experienced. I did feel bloated and felt like a resembled a stuffed sausage in my tri suit. Damn sodium and water. Urinating helped , I will give up 2 mins for a bathroom break to have a pleasant run during the race.
*Brick legs? What brick legs? My legs took 1/2 mile to transition. Woot! Woot! Not sure how that happened but I was ****ing ecstatic. My run felt great!
*3 hrs and 30 mins later I finished my 45/5 brick and I felt good!

I weighed myself pre brick at 132.5, I weighed in post brick with recovery foods and I was down 129.4, 3.1 lbs of water and wtf? weight. Not sure were it went but am pretty sure it will be back tomorrow. Digital scales are good for tracking hydration loss.
This evening I'm a little tired and I have an insatiable hunger. I've only been able to consume approx 3000 cal of the 3800 I probably burned (2000 training + 1800 RMR = 3800). I feel rather good considering I burned my left calf on my ice pack last night. Yea, it's a first for me. I sat on it too hard I guess and the damn thing stuck to me. By the time it defrosted it left a chunk of ice on my calf, once that melted I came to realize I have a nice sized ice burn. Awesome. But yea, my legs feel good considering the torture I unleashed on them. My back was rather sore so I did some Pilates spinal workouts, along with some stretching and rolling on my legs.

Wonder how I will feel tomorrow.

No comments: