Friday, May 9, 2008

90 min Spin....Pondering Iron(Wo)man greatness

Friday morning - 90 min easy spin HR 145-60

For some reason this was easier then I had expected. It was an "easy" spin, but I had loads of energy. When I got to work and looked at my nutritional log I realized that I had twice as much honey on my sandwich then I had wanted. I had 20g down and had consumed 40g. When I made the sandwich I thought I had written down 60g, but as I was pouring it on it seemed like way to much, thankfully I stopped at 40g's. But alas, energy is a good thing.

I spent the whole time reading my Triathlete World Magazine. It was the Oct 07 Kona edition, covering world champions....yea so I'm behind in my reading. It happens. Anywho I was reading about Kate Major, Desiree Flicker, Paula Newby-Fraser, Lori Bowden, Michellie Jones and Emma Snowsill and they have all inspired. It just amazes me how fast the pros are and it brings me to a few questions.

If I put my all (time, energy and funds) into training for say the next 5-10 years, could I achieve their status? Or even be in the top 10? Is it possible? I always have said the sky's the limit but I also think this is the limit that I might not be able to soar to. My wings span might not be long enough, I might not have enough leg to run off the ground and hit air, I may run out of energy as I'm flying aimlessly. Reading up on most of their backgrounds it appears that each girl has excelled at one of the three sports or another. I'm moderate to decent at all....I don't come from a phenomenal background in swimming, cycling or running.....so would I have any hope?
Another query I ponder is genetics. Are these women born with these capabilities? Do I have these powers and I just don't know it? And if I don't will I ever have a chance? Is it possible to aim for their greatness one day? I'm still young....I have the time and mentality.

I'd love to meet anyone of these ladies and pick their brain, they truly inspire me.

No comments: