Thursday, January 15, 2009

5 am Brick

Woke up at 5am in a dream like haze and hoped on the bike trainer

75 mins - threshold ride (this $#$%%^ was hard!)
Based off my wattage zones
50% race pace effort - 200 watts
24% threshold - 180 watts
20% endurance (recovery periods every 12-15 minutes for 3-4 minutes) - 160 watts

Put on my run shoes and went for a brisk 2 miles run - 8:00 pace
Brrrr, freaking A! I should have took the time to put on say maybe a jacket....or gloves...or a hat...or all three! Instead I jumped right outside, freezing 28 degrees this morning. I realized my mistake 2-3 minutes in and was too far to turn around. We all need a little toughness right? Hmmmm....I thought my face had fallen off. I was cold for 1/2 the morning.

On a positive note, I've done several short bricks now and holding an 8:00 mile at the start is not a problem, my legs have no issues with the run transition, even after slaughtering my quads on the trainer. This makes me very happy, I only pick up speed as the mileage increases during triathlon. Woot! Woot!

I can not wait until Monday. I have built my beginning schedule to have 3 weeks of hard training followed by a week of light recovery and an extra day off (2! in on week!). I've learned over the last few years that tend I to bonk or hit said wall after 4-5 weeks of heavy work. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. Thus far my schedule has worked out well. I've had some very difficult training sessions and have noticed each week I am making very small gains, which over time will turn into big gains, with the right amount of rest and balance that is.

No comments: