Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Knowing the limits…when to push it and when not to

Part 1 - Morning workout
1 mile easy run
15 mins of drills
A$$ kickers, strides, side strides and bounds. I cut the bounds short by 2 sets, my right calf was starting to give me a not so good sensations….so I headed in to start my swim

Warm Up 250
6 x 50s, Drills; A-ok, Fist, Karake; 15 sec rest between each
1 x 150 with paddles; 20 sec rest
1 x 250 build speed by 50s; 20 sec rest
1 x 350 with fins; 20 sec rest
1 x 450 hold a steady pace, 60% effort; 20 sec rest
1 x 100 fast; 20 sec rest
8 x 50s with breathing pattern, per 50: every 3 strokes, and 5 strokes…bi-lateral breathing
Cool Down
25 x 5 wall pushups
50 x 5 wall pushups
50 x 5 wall pushups
50 x 5 wall pushups
50 x 5 wall pushups
25 x 5 wall pushups
Total yards: 2500

Part 2 – lunch workout - failed

8 x 800 repeats
1 mile warm up run – 10 min pace
2 x 800; 7:10 pace w/ 90 sec float

I shouldn’t have done part 2; I should have listened to that little tweak of pain my calf inflicted in the morning. Funny thing, I was actually worried about my energy levels going into the workout. I am still feeling weak from this weekend. The distance+heat+dehydration and lack of nutrition really fucked up my body and energy. But yet I put all that behind me and hit the treadmill anyway, I only have 3 weeks to make progression. During the first 800 I feel another surge if pain, it starts at the outside of my right ankle and shoots up my calf. Is this a cramp? Or am I over stressing my legs? I ignore it…pain is weakness leaving the body, right? Hit my 90 sec recovery and my leg is lightly throbbing. Get into the second 800 and BAM it happens again. This time my ankle felt week and I thought my leg might collapse….I finish the 800 experiencing this weakness and striking pain 2 more freaking times. Go into recovery which has now become a limping jog. I stop the treadmill hoping to wake up to what I believe has just been a nightmare. Stretch my leg out and got at it again, no go, not happening. My calf is officially fucked. I bow my head in disappointment as I walk off to shower.
So here I sit now at my desk, leg elevated with ice…..waiting for the 800mg of Ibuprofen to kick in. I HOPE this was just cramping and I have not injured myself. The old Kat would have limped through the rest of the workout….at least I had some sense to throw in the towel, hopefully not too late.

1 comment:

Kylie said...

Hope it starts to feel better! I'm like you: I try to listen to my body now, but not always as soon as I should have.