Friday, August 1, 2008

2 days in Recap

Thursday

Noon - 60 minutes Pilates
*We had a sub which was good, it helped switch things up a bit and I learned some new hip flexor and calf stretches. She also killed me on one legged planks. I was fortunate to sit across from a UBER HOT guy with phenomenal abs, yes I looked every time he lifted up his shift to wipe away the sweat from his face. He knew damn well what he was doing. Ugh.....it's been too long.

Evening - Open water swim

5 loops around Klineline - approx 2500-2700 meters.
First loop was blah, I felt slow and was attacked by several sticks and debris. Freaked me out a bit. I think it just took me a while to wake up from my 45 minute power nap I took on the grass before hand. Got to love Kat naps.
Second loop was good, my stoke felt strong, body roll went fluid and breathing was solid and in control. 3rd loop, uh oh, not enough body glide, I feel my suit chaffing my side pretty bad, but stop now? No. Loop 4 and 5 felt just as strong as 2 and 3. Ended swim in just over an hour. I was right about the chaffing, my suit rubbed my side raw....it still hurts.
Went home, showed gross lake water off and went right to bed...must run in the morning.

Friday morning - 10k Tempo run
10 min easy
4 min stretch
6 min easy
13 1:30-2:00 intervals (HR 175-184, drop to 164 recovery and repeat)
53 mins; 8:30 avg

5:00am, beep, beep, beep. Oh no....I'm tired...don't want to get up....must get up....don't want to.....must. Alas, I'm up. I'm tired. As I'm sleep walking I preset my coffee maker, get dressed, sucked down a Power Gel....body glide the hell out of my chaffed side and run out the door. Oh this is nice, running is not as bad as I had thought. I take the first 10 minutes nice and easy, then stop and get my stretch on. The workout was to do a 20 minute tempo. I had doubt this would be possible, I've had a long week...but thought I would give it a tri. Well I did and 2 minutes in I said **** it. I was tired....and pushing it for 20 minutes straight through was not going to happen....so I went back to easy. Along I go and start thinking an easy pace is not really fun either. So I opt to do short intervals. Yes I know for long course short intervals are really not going to benefit me much but I don't care, after I realized the 20 min tempo was not going to happen I turned this training run into Kat's Fun Run. So off I went, 1:30-2:00 min high aerobic intervals pushing threshold. I'd get my HR up to 178-183, hold it for 90-120 sec and the drop my gear down to 164bpm and repeat. I think I was sleep running as I none of it felt real and my mind was completely somewhere else. At first the 180s hurt, felt like I was in a nightmare and I couldn't run fast enough to get out. After a few of them I longed for the high HR. I pushed and when I hit it I'd want to hold it longer...making the pain the fatigue last just a tad bit longer then the last.....this didn't last long as my recoveries started to take longer to get my HR down. Finished off with a sprint to my doorstep. Checked my pace when I got home, easy and warm up included I avg'd 8:32, same pace I hold at tempo on that course. It was nice to see that I wasn't as slow as my fatigue had lead me to believe. The coffee was REALLY nice to come home to.

July EOM Recap

10 recovery days/ 21 training days = 30% off (raced HIM end of June)

Swim 10:04:30 hours; 29,306 approx yards = 16.65 miles 23% of hours to total
Bike 20:34 hours; 329.9 miles 46% of hours to total
Run 13:42 hours; 84.46 miles 31% of hours to total
8 Hours of Pilates

Total
52 hours 20 mins
431.01 miles

No comments: