Sunday, August 3, 2008

A new PR for me

Sunday - 20 mile LSD run - 1st of 2,3 leading up to the PDX Marathon

Today was my longest run to date. Clocking in at 20 miles in 3:08:30. I am REALLY happy and surprised by this run. Saturday night someone stole my attention and I ended up staying up a little too late. Usually I require a solid 8 hour sleep for a feel good workout, somehow I managed by with 6. I also slept poorly, it was hard to sleep with my attention being elsewhere.....and I woke up with a really sore back. So a few things to cause concern. To help alleviate the concerns I started the day off right with a double shot of espresso and some vitamin I (Ibuprofen) followed up with a big breakfast of multi grain pancakes, pb, sliced banana's all drizzled over in agave nectar. Spent a good 45 minutes on Pilates and rolling out my legs.
It was rather brisk this morning, IDEAL running weather. Started out nice and easy and ran the first 10 miles with Darrell, Devin and Nicole. The route was a 2 loop course from bridge to bridge circling the inner city. For the most part it was flat and easy, but did have a few small bumps (hills) here and there. Having never done 20 miles before and my longest on the road being 14 or 15 I was unsure of how I would feel post run. Would this be easy then the 18.75 mile trail run I did a few weeks back OR would it be harder? There was no shade, it's too loops so the scenery is the same which could cause boredom, and running on the road using the same foot pattern over and over and could easily break the body down quicker. The unknown was intriguing yet scary at the same time. We hit the first loop and Nicole and Devin run off for H2o and refueling. Darrel and I opt to continue to keep running so our legs wouldn't lock up. By mile 13 I've kept my HR between 135-145. This is REALLY low for me. It's a good thing but at the same time I was itching to go. I knew I only had 7 miles left so I could push it a little more, Darrell and I departed and off I went. As I take off I think "Damn, should have brought the Ipod", but then I think it was a good thing not having it. I could pay more attention to my body form and energy levels. The last 7 miles flew by much faster then I had anticipated. Energy levels stayed high thanks to Power Gel caffeinated fueling Gels. Mmmm, strawberry banana. I wish they'd come out with more flavors. There are really endless possibilities and I think they only have 6-8 flavors to choose from. I need more variety, my palate gets bored after awhile. Anywho, back on to running. I hit the Hawthorn bridge and it dawns on me, I only have a little over 2 miles to go and I feel great. Hot Damn! Who knew? Not this girl, that's for sure. I finished my first 20 miler at 3:08:30, avging something around a 9:25 min mile, avging 151 HR. I also never hit that wall....must be after 20 this happens. But really when that happens all I have to do is tell myself I have a 10k to go. 10k's are my easy recovery days, I can always do one of those. This run made me REALLY happy. A sub 4 hour marathon should be in the bag.....as long as I'm smart with the rest of my training. The question is come marathon day should I aim for a 3:40? Based off my 1/2 marathon time this is achievable and it's my age group Boston Qualifier time, although I have no interest in running Boston. I guess it's something for me to ponder after my 1/2 ironman. Which by the way means that as of right now I am officially in taper. WooHoo! It's been a long 4 weeks of building. I welcome the rest.

3 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Very very nice first 20-miler. Also wise idea to do 3 of them. You'll be amazed at the confidence that numerous 20-milers gives you. And don't worry about the wall. If you can make 20, you'll be good. If I find a wall, it's usually in the 18-20 area.

And I think you should aim for 3:40 and a BQ time. Not just cause I plan to be there, but because I thin kwith that low HR, you can do it. Given that Portland is in early October, that should bring a fair bit cooler weather for the area. That will give you a 5-10% decrease in time. Further, your HR was fairly low given your pace. Meaning, I think you could push a touch bit harder and really surprise yourself. Again, just my two cents.

Congrats though...very nice!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the perfect way to lead into the taper.

Scott said...

I left with the pace group that was 20 min slower than my BQ time and regretted it. Not that I'd run Boston for sure, but it is one of my mini-goals. You can change your mind and slow down, but I tried to change my mind and speed up to run a huge neg split for a BQ. Big mistake.