Thursday, August 7, 2008

Taper day 4 of 13

Thursday - Run/Form work
1 mile moderate run to track
5 min stretch
25 min drills - Ass kickers, Strides, Side Strides, Bounds
1 mile expedient run home

Hehe, this was hard. It's always hard getting the HR between 170-180 FIRST thing (5:15am!)in the morning. I haven't done drills for a few weeks for risk of over stressing my calf. My legs have felt good for the last 2 weeks so I thought a nice short drill workout during taper would be good. Keep my fast twitch muscles memory in check.

60 min Pilates at lunch
Walked in as a stick figure and walked out as a Gumby. Damn those human clams hurt my glutes. My Pilates instructor feels herself up during class...I find this odd.

Open Water swim in the Willamette...
Supposedly the Willaemette River is cleaner then Blue Lake & Klineline. I wasn't feeling like the normal 60-90 min sit in gridlock today so I opted to join the other crazy triathletes for a swim in the city river. Glad I did for a few reasons. First and foremost I got to meet a few new faces....always a good thing. Second, got out of my open water comfort zone. Klineline has felt like my local pool for sometime now so it was nice to have a different change of pace. Still didn't experience open water shock but swimming against the current was a nice challenge to face. Wait did I say nice? I hit the Morrison Bridge in an effortless 14 mins....that is too fast and easy for me. Ah shit, this is going to be line Marine Drive, going back I would be facing the current. I didn't really notice it at first. Reality hit me when I was stuck between the Morrison and Hawthorne Bridge, I kept swimming yet the Hawthorne Bridge was never getting closer. WTF? I really had to kick it up a notch to make any head way. I ended at 30:20.....ugh added an extra 2:20 coming back, sure seemed a lot longer to me. The best part was trying to get my dead weight of a body out of the damn river and onto the dock. First attempt, failure. I was then offered an ever so kind helping hand, which of course I politely declined. Second attempt, failure. WTF? I hate how my upper body strength as deteriorated over the season. It was at this point that I made a clear decision to get out of the water, had to rest a good 60 sec to let my HR go back down before tri'ing though. Aha! 3rd times a charm. This baby sealed propelled herself out of the water. Ok, maybe I didn't exactly propel, I mean that would signify great strength which obviously I didn't have, but I thought it sounded cool :) so go with me here. I look at my HR max, 178, never from swimming, but actually getting out of the water. Awesome! All in all I had a good swim. Enjoyed the waves and the beautiful view of our city.
Can you believe I'm thinking of moving away from this?




I tested out my sweat rate this morning. 132.2 starting weight. Drank 4-5 oz of water with a PowerGel (200mg of sodium). Went out and did 40 minutes of run training...came back and weighed myself again. 130.6 = >1.6lbs. I took this data to PowerBar.com and their nifty little calculator figured in a need 35 fluid oz per hour. Now this was only 40 minutes of exercise and the test says do 60, but my intensity was a lot higher then it normally is. Also, the testing was done at 5am, it a nice cool 60 degrees out. That's a whole lot of fluid to consume during an hour of running. Not sure I could ever put that much down, on the bike yes....but running?

BTW, Powergel Double Latte is not a good flavor. Ugh

As I start taper for a HIM I also taper down my caffeine to one cup off coffee per day and not use it in my training supplements. For some reason seem to think detoxing it from my body and then loading up on race day gives me extra UMPH. The question is does it really have that affect or is it a mind trick? Well I'll find out because today I hook the caffeine IV back up. I MUST have energy!

No comments: