Sunday, June 1, 2008

I need a weekend from the weekend


OMG....sooooo hungover. Today has to be an active rest day, the last 24 hours have been CRAZY!

Saturday
Mock - Olympic Triathlon
This was our race simulator of the season. The first time we put all three sports as one and give it some good effort. We really lucked out on the weather. It was beautiful and temps in the mid 60’s…this is rare for us this year, we have trained in the rain, snow and heat and all within a few days of each other. The weather has been like a ping pong ball….but on Saturday it was on our side.
The PDX tri club was putting on the little event and the turn out was pretty large. We had the 2008 Pacific Crest TNT team, PDX tri members and then the 2008 Pacific Crest tri TNT team (not sure if they actually participated). The club put on some good clinic/seminars pre event. I spent most of this time mingling around the crowd and listening in here and there. Most of the stuff they covered I already knew but it was good for beginners..and there was one or two things that I’ll test out, you never stop learning. Pre “race” I had no nerves. This wasn’t race, I wasn’t going to go all out so maybe that is why I was so calm, I don’t know but it was a nice feeling.

Swim Approx 800 meters– We’re given 5 minutes to “warm” up in the water pre start. I don’t know if it was really a “warm up” since the water wasn’t warm at all…but hey, I’m not complaining because it wasn’t an iceberg either. I swim out to the first kayak and back. Ah yes, this feels good. We’re called back into shore and then given the count down…10,9,8…3,2,1 and we’re off. Craziness! We all run into the water like a bunch of shoppers hitting up Macy’s at 4:30am the day after Thankgiving. Open Water Shock! WTF?! It was exciting yet annoying at the same time. I LOVE mass water starts, lol and I actually like swimming over people. Ok I don’t do it to just do it but if someone is in my way it will be done. It took a good 5 minutes to get my breathing regulated. My stroke felt good at the start. About ¾ through it started happening again, I look up to breath and I am getting passed again, on my left on my right and these were not slow passes. How the hell does this always happen? Oh well, I know I’m not the fastest swimmer and I enjoyed my swim so really that is all that matters.

T1 – I swim til I my hand hits the sand, open my wetsuit and allow water to fill my suit. I run out, unzip and my wetsuit flies off. I wanted to ride the way I would during race day so I just put on my helmet, glasses and shoes and I was off. T1 was fast….I will not be using socks or gloves during race day. Oh and I forgot my “special needs” at T1. I’ve been cursed with an argumentative digestive system so I need either Maloox, Zantac, and or Immodium or all three.

Bike 26 miles– HR check 175? Really?! As I ride out of T1 acid reflux kicks in….I swallowed too much water. Damn! I focused the first 20 minutes on my breathing, holding out eating; as to hope the acid reflux goes away…it did subside a lot. 20 minutes in and I go for my first Powergel…mmmm, gel. My cadence reader (speedo/rpm gage) wasn’t working so I had no clue how fast I was going or my RPMs. It felt windy, but not in just one area. We did an out and back 2 times to cover 26 miles and it felt like the wind shifted directions at different points. The bike felt a bit taxing but I wasn’t sure why since I didn’t have my bike data in front of me. I just rode off of feel. My HR stayed between 168-175, I couldn’t get it down. I never got aero as my acid reflux was making breathing difficult but I did stay in my drops 90% of the ride. Took a second power gel with 20 minutes left on the bike. Finished t he bike as the first girl from the ½ ironteam. I was happy since I wasn’t in race mode and my energy levels were still high.

T2 – Another fast transition. Removed my helmet, took off my bike shoes wiped my feet off on the towel. Put on socks, shoes, tightened locking laces grabbed a Power gel and I was off.

Run 6.2 miles– Oooo, feet are numb, that’s no good. Acid reflux is gone and tummy feels ok, that’s a good thing. The run was pretty non eventful. It took about 1 ½ miles for the numbness to go away. Not sure if I ever really picked up speed, it didn’t really feel like it. But then again we ran a good mile out and back twice along a stretch of deserted road with no shade and it was getting warm…I don’t think anything could have felt fast. It’s kind of weird after getting off the bike your speed perception is really off, well at least mine is. After the cement legs went away my run felt REALLY good. I took down another power gel 2 miles into the run and that got me through to the end. My run took 52 mins, almost 9 min miles; which I’m happy with since I wasn’t giving an all out effort.

I finished as the first ½ iron girl on the team. This felt good, especially since my mentality was a training event and not to push 100%. I am sooooo ready for race day! My time was 2:29, I took in 3 power gels = 330 cals and burned approx 1525 calories. Post event the PDX tri club put on a kick ass BBQ. Mmmmm, shredded pork sandwiches so much better then Gel!


I had no recover time after the event. I went costume shopping with Jenny and then we headed out to set up her 1920’s Murder Mystery Dinner Fundraiser. The fund raiser was a hoot. Basically a murder was preformed while we ate dinner and the “actors” included us. Lots of alcohol, good food, great friends, lost of money raised = SUCCESSFUL event. I stole a magnum condom from Honey Inez’s purse. Lol, we were allowed to rummage through their things to try to figure out “who done it.” We were also given fake money…to be bought off or what ever. Post dinner, say 11ish we (as in the TNT peps that came, about 10-15 of us) didn’t have enough so we went to a club called Dirty and danced the night away. They didn’t make us wait in line, it was awesome. The club was a lot of fun, there were poles in the back room which I so would have danced up on but I was in an UBER short black flapper dress. I do have some class, so I just limited my dancing to the platform : ) Not saying the ladies from our group that danced on the pole don’t have it, they were just dressed more appropriately. I loved dancing in that dress, the fringe was everywhere and I was able to do some fancy foot/leg work. Quote of the night has to go to “I want to lick your calf.” Lol, that was great! Carly, Kyle and I took a shot (not really more like a Tbsp) of salt and chased with water before bed. It did wonders on limiting a handover when we got up to start the day 4 hours later. Post “nap” Carly and Kyle drove me back to my car and we had breakfast at Voodoo doughnuts. I had a Dr. Pepper (they were out of Rootbeer) and a Devils Food Cake doughtnut covered in vanilla icing and butterfingers. Carly’s filled mango doughnut was good too and I’m really still not sure what to think about Kyle’s bacon maple bar…I didn’t have the guts to try it.

Again the last 24 hours have been VERY LONG, but probably been some of the funnest (is that a word) in my short life span.

No comments: