Saturday, June 21, 2008

DId I just see that?....Taper day 13

My mood has been surprisingly good considering I’m rounding off the 2nd week of taper. My workouts have been cut back first week by about 25% then last week by 50%.This last week scares me, workouts will be cut by 75-80% and I’ll be PMS’ing. This should not only scare me but scare anyone who is stuck being around me. I’ll be praying for a positive attitude nightly.

Saturday – 8 mile run at “race pace”. Race pace being my ½ ironman race pace. I was targeting a 9 min mile but think we came in at 8:10-8:30’s. I’m uncertain of the exact min/mile as we were stopped by a draw bridge at the end of the run and it messed up my time. This was probably only the 3rd or 4th workout we’ve done in the heat this year. Weather was about 70 with 50% humidity, sticky for us. I’m thinking this run was a little quicker then my actual race pace at Pacific Crest, from what I’ve seen it is difficult to hit a sub 2hr run on this course. I say mind of matter and on race day…..none it will matter….I’ll be in the zone.

On to another topic….Run clothing etiquette. I have to bring this up. Today we ran in the heart of PDX around the esplanade, if you read my weather girl report above you saw it was rather warm and sticky. I can not tell you how many guys I saw running without their shirt on, yet not one female with her shirt off and just rockin the sports bra . Now I don’t see anything wrong running without your shirt or just your sports bra IF you have less then a half pint on your tummy. I haven’t rocked a 4 pack since I was carb depleted 2 years a go, since then my tummy has had an invasion of sodium and likes to hold H2o hostage along with a little body fat to utilize as fuel and a cooling source on lsd workouts. I have ab definition along my obliques and down the center of my tummy but I’ll be damned if I’m going without a shirt. Is this just because I’m a woman and am more self conscious then men? Why does a man with a half pint, liter or full on keg think this ok? Do you not know what you look like? Please step inside of my visual memory which now scared and take a peak. Do you really think removing that 5 oz tee shirt is going to cool you any more then if you wore it? At least if your shirt is on you’d sweat and basically be running in wet clothes, which has to be cooler then nothing. Maybe their objective is to get a tan so that the baby fat doesn’t look so much like baby fat. Really though, it’s just WRONG. I wish I could have given out tickets or penalties, I feel visually violated. I pray they don’t show up on race day rockin a speedo.

Disclaimer – I am NOT referring to the guys I was running with…they all fell within that ½ pint and under category.

No comments: