Saturday, September 6, 2008

22.2 miles along Leif Erickson

Who goes to bed on a Friday night at 8:30 only to get up at 4:30 on Saturday morning? This girl does and I tend to think it sort of proves my dedication. After 30 minutes of Pilates, breakfast and emails I head out for another LSD run. Quiet honestly I feared this run....wow, haven't felt that way about LSD in a long time. I'm tired and I'm under weight, my sleep has been affected as has my overall energy. Once again I would be running with men and was pretty sure I'd be dropped right away. My outlook was not positive to say the least. I meet up with Darrell and David at the trail head to Leif Erickson and off we go. Leif Erickson has 1/4 mile markers along the trail and upon every mile or so I noticed Darrell checking his watch, he was pacing us. Pacing?! On an LSD? Oh the humanity! It's kind of ironic since I'm the data/numbers person of the group yet he was the one all over it. I have never in my life ran with two people who talked so much throughout the run. And you think I talk a lot, I had nothing on these boys. But for the most part I enjoyed the jibber jabber and it kept my mind off the fact my energy levels were so low. We come up to mile 11.1 and meet up with Devin who was kind enough to provide an aid station. Quickly we refilled hydration belts and fueled. I was pretty damn excited to see he had brought a jar of pickles. Mmmmm electrolytes that weren't sweet. I <3 pickles! Then it was time to head back, another 11.1 miles to go. Around mile 14 I think I lost my mind somewhere. The chit-chat from the two boys wasn't making sense. I felt like I was running much faster and a little dizzy, it was far to early in the run to feel that way. Popped a Power Gel and I felt better. Mile 15-16th I realized if I could handle running with these two I had all the mental toughness in the world, also my tummy started to growl, not a good sign. Mile 18 1/2 the two boys pick up their pace, at first I had thought I had slowed down, but after a quick pace check I knew I hadn't....it was too soon for me to push myself any further so I just stayed behind. Mile 19 and I had caught back up and by mile 20 I had passed and left them. One had hit "the wall" and the other went back to make sure everything was ok. Mile 20 and I was feeling stellar. WTF? Yea I said it, so I pushed the last two miles in. Finished 22.2 hilly miles in 3:28:20....but as Darrell (Mr. Pace setter) says it's LSD who's counting?

Last weekend I ran 24 miles and made a poor choice of not stretching, rolling or icing my legs. It took a good day or two of solid recovery. Today I was much wiser. I picked up 21 lbs of ice on the way home and soaked for 15 minutes in an ice bath. The first 5 minutes are by far the worst...then your lower body goes numb and as long as you don't move around in the tub you can tune the coldness out. I followed up the ice bath with a 25 minute hot epsom salt soak. I climbed out of the tub and my legs feel good as new......now as for my energy. It has hit a low again. I'm going to focus on lots of nutritious fuel and some good solid rest. I need to get my A game back.

Oh yes and might I add I'm looking to date a guy that has access to an ice maker (no, the refrigerator type will do), talking about industrial size or that could wire my bike trainer up to my electrical box in my home, I'd like to heat and light my home off of Kat's energy. If you happen to fall in this criteria please send me your dating resume :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. What an awesome workout. Question of the week time: What is "Rolling" your legs?

Kit Kat said...

"Rolling my legs" refers to a deep tissue massage I give myself via a 6-8in wide foam roller or "the stick". The stick is a long plastic...well stick with free moving rolling parts...not really sure how else to explain it, but you apply hard pressure to your legs and work the knots out. The foam roller I lay on and use my body weight as pressure.

Now if you don't have funds to go out and purchase these great recovery tools ($25-$35) there is always the option of freezing a water bottle or using a rolling pin, both work great! The frozen water bottle is sometimes better IMO because you get the ice factor. You have to be careful with the rolling pin, my wooden one works great but I've bruised my hip on the marble one.