Sunday, April 3, 2011

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I wake up to Boom! Boom! Boom! Shit! Was I reliving a nightmare of my past? Then my alarm clock goes off.   3:40am. Frick! I swear I had just gone to bed. An overdose on honey corn chex cereal before bed inflicted GI distress all night long. Gluttony could be the sin that spells my death. Anywho... dazed and confused I took my roomie to the airport.

Jesse and I have the best conversations while we're both half a sleep, or drunk for that matter. She helped me come to a realization this morning. The traits that some people have, that drive me most up the wall, are traits that I need in my life. A reason that I love them so. An orderly person needs chaos. A messy person needs cleanliness. A plan needs to be changed....once and awhile.

After I dropped Jesse off I hit the pool to get w/o #1 out of the way. Since I'm no longer coached I've decided to pick up Swimplan.com for my weekly/daily workouts.

Description:
Warm up
• 1 x 200yd Any Stroke (even pace), rest 0:20 / 200yd 
Swim your choice of stroke at a steady pace. 


Build up (repeat 2 times)
• 1 x 100yd Zipper, rest 0:15 / 100yd 
Freestyle drill to emphasize arm recovery. Adjust your stroke recovery by grabbing an imaginary zipper between your thumb and forefinger and pull the zipper up your leg, hip and the side of your chest. 
• 2 x 50yd Freestyle Push & Glide, rest 0:10 / 50yd 
Freestyle swim, pausing at the end of every stroke with arms out-stretched, one held out front, the other held loosely against the body. 


Core
• 3 x 400yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 06:50 / 400yd 
Freestyle swim, starting every 400yd set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have. 


Warm down
• 1 x 200yd pull with buoy
• 1 x 100 freestyle 


It's now been 3 weeks since I injured my foot. This was the first swim that I was able to kick, and not have any tenderness. Yay! I'm still flip turning, and only kicking off the wall with one foot. My times are overall a couple seconds slower. I'm sure that will come back when I'm actually able to push off the wall again.

I got home and it was only 7:30am! It was time for a Kat nap.

When I got up I stumbled upon this Runner's World article WingSpan. A friend FB linked. She said it reminded her of someone. Hmmmm. It hit close to home and stirred up a whirlwind of emotions. Discontent with myself I turned to the one form of therapy that ALWAYS makes me feel better - cooking. I whipped up these bad boys for dessert later that night. Cheesecake cups with melted dark chocolate, bananas and a strawberry sauce.


Workout # 2 was an hour 45 min spin. The pain in my foot pretty much stopped this last week. I want to be completely pain free for a week before I trust riding outside where I could potentially hit Z3/Z4. This  left me alone with my compu in the twilight zone (Z2) and the incredibly stupid, but somewhat amusing flick - Zoolander.


I recovered in the evening with a great friend (girl time is priceless), good food (bacon wrapped ribeye over a bed of arugula and balsamic vinegar, mashed red potatoes with garlic & shallots, and sautéed asparagus, mushrooms and onions...oh my!)
 a bottle of vino and The Roast Of Donald Trump. Which I had previously watched but just can't get enough of. I'm a big fan of Whitney Cummings. That girl is a hoot.


My night ended with a great phone date. Le sigh.....distance makes the heart grow stronger. I keep telling myself this.

No comments: