Friday, March 14, 2008

Training Updates


Thursday

Lunch - 60 minutes Pilates

Evening – Moderate the light run. 1 mile warm up at the track. Ran up Twilliger and back at a moderate pace. 1 mile cool down around track. 7.2 miles

Evening – Team Swim.
Warm-up, 100 meters (I got into the pool kind of late)

6 x 50s, tread water at the deep end for :15 each time. Rest :15 at shallow end.
2 x 50s, quick & light turnover. Rest :15. Regroup before starting the next set…

1 x 50, rest :15
1 x 100, rest :20
1 x 200, rest :30
1 x 300, rest :30
1 x 50 easy (regroup before starting again).
Swim set twice.

4 x 50s, your choice of drill on the way down/long glide freestyle on the way back. Rest :10.
(Didn’t have much time to break with the late start and stalled lanes….Diane and I turned this into a quick 200)
Total meters:
2100

This was a productive swim. Right off my first 100 my right shoulder pain kicked in. Coach Jane watched me swim a few laps and was able to see a problem. I roll out and reach too far in my right side stroke. I also have a wide arm pull. She had me focus on keeping my right side short and just cut into the water and pull down while keeping in mind to keep my arms close in and not wide. I kept this in my mind during the whole swim and it helped, helped a lot. I still had some pain, but it was minimal. I think it’s going to take a while practicing on that for it to go a way, or so I hope. The best part was I finished the workout with plenty of energy. I always go into the group swims with an amount of fatigue from running. So I am use to just taking it easy, but regardless I end up uber tired in the end. Not last night. I ran longer then I usually do and then I swam longer then most of our sets and I had more energy. Things are finally starting to click in swimming. Yay!

Friday – Lunch time – easy 5 mile run on the treadmill (HR 142-150)

And to save the best for last…….
I went in on Monday to get my bi-annual echo scan done. Most of you know I have a heart murmur that is rather large and my doctor monitors it every few years to make sure it doesn’t get too serious. In my early 20s the valve actually opened up more and caused a lot of concern. BUT today I got the results back, and get this shiznit, it’s actually decreased! The valve is closing more and she doesn’t think that we need the echo’s preformed anymore. Yay me! I wonder if this has anything to do with training…or maybe just my age. Who knows! My dad has had a murmur his whole life and it never caused any problem. All I know is I am happy I have one less thing to worry about. Now, if we could just get my body to retain iron and get rid of pesky acid reflux I’d be a happy camper.

Ah yes and this weekend I’m looking forward to Bike hill repeat in the rain up Mt. Tabor and the Shamrock 15k. Ooooo the excitement, can you feel it. Kiss me I’m Irish!!!
__________________

No comments: