Friday, March 28, 2008

I got OWNED in Track ~ Thursday Triple




Noon – 60 min Pilates

Evening Track –
The track workout for the night was 3 x 1600’s with a 90 sec recovery float. I will start off by saying this is one of the worst track workouts I have had in a looooong time. Track worked me and made me its bitch. I think this was due to several factors; not enough nutrition, going out too fast, leg pain, negative mental thoughts, and digestive issues. I firmly believe they all feed off each other and it was a downward spiral from the start. Usually I’ll start with my warm up mile, stretch, 15-20 mins of drills and get into the speed work. I really need to do drills first as they open up hips and stride. BUT today my energy was lacking….I’m not eating enough. I’m trying but have been waking up in the middle of the night to a growling tummy. This has been going for about a week and a half now. At first I just thought it was on light caloric days, then I had those monster pancakes and figured my tummy was just pissed at me. It did have every right to be. It took until Tuesday for my tummy to recover from the sugar poisoning and I’m still waking up….so I need to up my calories. Since my calories were low as was my energy level I thought I’d just cut straight to the speed work and do the drills if I had spare energy to burn. Not a good idea. The first 1600 I went out too fast. My stride was short and I felt tight and tense. This made me turn over more to compensate my stride, which made my HR sky rocket and I shot my 7:40 goal with a 7:00. I knew pushing 3 more miles was going to be difficult. Plus my legs were getting pain in the shins. %^$%$##$@!! Drills help alleviate any pain in speed work. Oh well, on I went. 90 sec easy jog. 2nd 1600. I burned out at 800. I don’t know what happened….I just stopped and said “fuck it”. VERY unKat like. I can’t explain it. I slowly trotted along thinking, I’ll pick it up again, it will be ok. My shins are now screaming as I’m telling them to STFU. I try to finish the 800. Ok, I’m able to do that but now my tummy is pissed. WTF? Can’t my body just work with me? I make my way to bathroom pit stop #1. Hit the track again and opt for some drills. Tummy is not happy and is now going off on a fucking tangent, so for the next 20 mins of sprints and drills I make 4 more freaking bathroom breaks before I said “fuck it” for the second time and gave up. Blah. Track OWNED me tonight. I went out too fast without enough nutrition and then allowed negative thoughts to stop me, then my digestive system turned bitch.

Post Track – Team Swim
200 warm up
100 Farlech
6 x 25s fast
6 x 25s breaths: 3,2,1 per length.
1 x 150 easy
5 x 100s descend 1 to 5.
1 x 150 easy
5 x 100s with buoy, focus on rolling
1 x 150 easy
5 x 100 with zoomers/fins, light quick arms
1 x 150 easy
4 x 25 half catch-up freestyle
Total meters 2800

Swim went great. I had a nice challenging workout that didn’t tax me too much. I think I’m starting to get this technique thing.

The tops of my quadriceps are swollen and a bit inflamed. I usually get these lumps or knots from doing hard bike work, yet I haven’t done any since Sunday. Tomorrow I have a 6 mile tempo run scheduled. I think I’m going to take the day off and do some Yoga instead. We have some nasty hills to climb on Saturday and I want to make sure I’m 100%. I like to give it to them hills :P

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a tough workout. With 90 seconds rest dropping the pace back to 8.15-30 would have been more manageable; we did those in college w/4min rest at 5k race pace (vs. 90 seconds). Way to give it a whirl, next week? :)